Pages

Sunday 27 March 2016

I've Never Seen Star Wars

Don't take the title of this post literally. I'm married to a Sci-Fi fan, so obviously I have actually seen Star Wars.  Several times, in fact.

Piranha fishing on the Orinoco
I'm referring to the BBC radio and TV show called I've Never Seen Star Wars in which celebrities are challenged to try new experiences.  I was reminded of this recently as a result of the media coverage of plans to introduce a tax on sugary drinks, because I've never drunk Coca Cola. 

I don't happen to like either sweet fizzy drinks or the taste of cola, so it is not all that surprising, but then I remembered that I have actually drunk Pepsi a couple of times, but only when travelling. Specifically, I have drunk Pepsi whilst piranha fishing on the Orinoco (it was all that was available in the cool box on our boat) and whilst shopping in the bazaar in Gujranwala, Pakistan, when the shopkeeper offered us refreshments.

Thinking about it some more, I realised that I have also never had a Big Mac, but I have eaten in MacDonalds, once.  This was also while travelling. We were in Bucharest on New Year's Day 2008. It was very cold and snowing, and we couldn't find anywhere else to eat within walking distance of our B&B.  I had the fish.

I know travel is supposed to broaden the mind, but it seems a bit odd that some of the new experiences I have had whilst travelling are things that are commonplace back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment