Pages

Monday 29 June 2015

The Mysterious Garden

 “Someone gave us a snake last week, but a caiman ate it,” Felix shrugged. He did not seem unduly concerned about the fate of the unfortunate reptile. His interest was in conserving flora, not fauna. The lake in the centre of the Jardin Botánico del Orinoco might contain fish and caimans, but the plants were the main thing.

Jardin Botanico
I had not intended to visit the gardens. I was in Ciudad Bolivar for its historical connections, before spending some time at a jungle camp on the Orinoco delta. It was purely by accident that I had seen a sign as we had driven in from the airport the previous day.  I always make a point of visiting  parks and gardens in any city I visit, so I checked my guidebook for information.  There wasn’t any.  The Jardin Botánico was marked on the city map, but the only mention of it in the text was in the directions to a restaurant. This piqued my interest. I obviously needed to find out whether the garden actually existed. At least if it was no longer open, I would have somewhere to eat.

More urgently than that, I needed to find my hotel.  The taxi driver first stopped outside a building that looked very closed, and crucially, was not at the address on my booking confirmation. I remonstrated, but he continued banging on the door.  Eventually, a man in a grubby t-shirt who had clearly been roused from his siesta emerged. It transpired that the closed-looking building was the sister hotel of the posada where I was staying. As it was low season they didn’t bother to staff both hotels. 

Casa Piar
The historic quarter was colourful, to say the least.  In Plaza Bolívar the bright pink Casa del Congreso de Angostura where the Angostura Congress was held in 1819, jostled for attention with the vivid blue Casa Piar where General Manuel Piar was imprisoned in October 1817 and the ochre yellow cathedral.

Music from a service in the cathedral could clearly be heard as cleaners swept the plaza. In one corner an incongruous note was struck by a group of youths putting on stilts. The service ended and the worshippers, dressed in business clothes complete with name badges, filed out of the cathedral, laid a floral tribute in front of the Bolívar statue in the centre of the plaza and posed for a group photo.  They then left, led by the boys on stilts. 

I set off in a different direction, in search of the mysterious botanical garden. Following the map in my guidebook I came to a park. Perhaps this was it? But then I noticed a group of buildings in the distance that looked like the entrance to a something. On closer inspection it was definitely the entrance to a garden. I couldn’t see a ticket office anywhere but a party of schoolchildren were going in, so it must be open.  I wandered in.  Someone waved and shouted at me so I wandered out again.

Through a mix of Spanish and sign language I inferred that I should wait.  Eventually, Felix arrived and explained, in excellent English, that visitors had to be accompanied by a member of staff. He offered to show me round. Among the plants he pointed out were a baobab tree and a purple-leaved plant which he told me was known as the cockroach plant, but the dominating  feature was bromeliads, both in pots and living on trees. These are very expensive in Venezuela and are therefore regarded as a status symbol. Security at the gardens is tight.


The garden has two main functions: conservation (of plants, snakes not so much!) and education.  Hosting school visits is the education side of their work, but preserving rare species is just as important. Felix led me to a greenhouse in which cuttings and seedlings were being propagated in old plastic drinks cups filled with river sand.  Can you get more eco-friendly than that?

I insisted on making a donation towards expenses and set off in search of that restaurant.

No comments:

Post a Comment