Pages

Monday 13 April 2015

It sure is a Great Wall


Great Wall at Jinshanling
The problem with the Great Wall of China is that it is not flat.  Obviously this was not a problem when it was built.  The mountainous location was after all a design feature intended to keep barbarians out.  What I mean is that my problem with the Great Wall is that it is not flat. Heights as such do not bother me, but I find steep or uneven steps and ladders terrifying. My husband Neil hates heights. Not an ideal situation, but you can’t visit Beijing and not see the Great Wall.
 
On arrival at Jinshanling, we took the gondola up to the Wall itself.  Swift action was necessary at the top to get out of the moving car - not that easy when encumbered with a large camera bag. Once we had extricated ourselves there was a short walk to the wall. The path was level and flanked by sweetly-scented shrubs. Ahead, we could see the wall stretching across the hillsides into the hazy distance.  This was not so bad. 
 
Then we reached some metal steps with open treads that led up to a watchtower. We couldn’t just look at the wall.  We had to climb onto it.

Taking a deep breath, I cautiously clambered up, closely followed by Neil, our guide Penny and two ‘helpful’ ladies who had joined us in the hope of selling a book or T shirt later.  I had made it!  I started taking photos of the view.  However, it became clear that this was not to be journey’s end.  We were expected to walk along the wall.

 
Watchtower, Jinshanling
“Which way would you like to go?” enquired Penny. 

“This way?” I suggested, boldly turning right.  This was a mistake.  The steps leading out of the tower simply crumbled away into a 45-degree slope half-way down.  There was no way I was going to get down there, let alone back again. The surefooted helpful ladies had gone on ahead and grabbed my hands trying to pull me down.  I pulled back.  They spoke to Penny and I caught the word “Taitai” (wife).
 
“No, Taitai is not going down there. Perhaps we should try the other way?” I suggested. We retraced our steps through the watchtower and went out through the other door.  This time we were faced with a flight of steps that were all there.  The only problem was that the treads were only about 4 inches wide.  I gritted my teeth and managed to scramble up using hands as well as feet. Penny gave me a pitying look. Neil was troubled by the height so didn’t look at all. We struggled only as far as the next watchtower, then retraced our steps, to the great consternation of Penny and the two ‘helpful’ women. To Penny’s great disgust, the highlight of our day was the chicken with peanuts we ate on regaining terra firma.  We had been there and done it, but we did not buy the T-shirt.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment